Friday, November 20, 2009

Del Potro sets three-year plan to conquer grass

http://www.lta.org.uk/Global/Images%20-%20News%20(square%20corners)/Events/ATP%20World%20Tour%20Finals/delpotro23.jpgThe new US Open Champion Juan Martin Del Potro has shown his determination to succeed on grass by committing to play at the AEGON Championships at the Queen’s Club in London for the next three years.

Del Potro, who stands 6’7” tall, will attempt to follow in the footsteps of John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Pete Sampras, Lleyton Hewitt and Rafael Nadal, who have all completed the grass-court double - winning titles at The Queen’s Club and at Wimbledon in the same year.

"I am very happy that I will play at the AEGON Championships at the Queen's Club,” said Del Potro.

“I am determined to do well on grass in my career and this is the perfect opportunity for me to improve my game on the surface. The AEGON Championships is a big tournament, and many players have done well at Queen's in the past and then gone on to win at Wimbledon.  I hope that this can happen for me also."

Tournament Director Chris Kermode was delighted to have secured Del Potro’s commitment to the tournament until 2012.

He said: “This is fantastic news for the AEGON Championships and British tennis fans. Juan Martin is one of the best and most exciting young tennis players in the world. He creates a buzz just by walking out on the court and he has an explosive game to match.”

No comments :

Post a Comment